The ‘not much better than the original’ skirt
Fabric: Thrifted skirt and skirt portion of thrifted dress (for lining)
Notions: 2 buttons from stash, thrifted elastic
Time to complete: About 2 hours
First worn: February 2012
Wear again? maybe
Total Cost: about $6
This skirt is a bit of a flop. I’ll blame the wrong elastic.
And… I forgot to take a before photo. oops.
But I’m bet you’re glad to see a photo that isn’t taken in front of the same blue/grey wall of my house! (We went on a little ferry ride with friends to take the kiddies to the beach.)
In it’s original form this was a thrifted home made skirt. Long, No lining, self fabric waistband, a bunch of unnecessary panels and giant box pleats. What posessed me to bring it home with me in the first place? who knows?
I took the waistband off, ironed out the pleats, chopped down the length from the top, lined it with the white cotton skirt of another thrifted dress, and gathered then attached it to the elastic. I kept the original zipper and added fabric tabs with buttons to my new elastic waistband.
But…. the elastic. It’s super cute stuff with ruffles on both edges, but it just isn’t ‘elasticy’ enough. It stretched out so much that it wouldn’t sit on my waist, so I grabbed some lingerie elastic from the drawer and added that to the inside to try and regain some stability. Which sort of worked, except now there are two visible rows of zig zag on the outside that just look ugghh (not to mention the mess on the inside!). And it tends to buckle in the middle.
Because I chopped it down from the top, I didn’t guess the length quite right either. Which is a shame because it’s still too long and the original seamstress did such a nice handstitched hem. I would have re-hemmed it (by machine of course) but well… you know. maybe some other time.
On the upside. My little girl did quite well this week. I took a bag of her too small clothes that were destined to be given away… and got out the scissors. She’s a size 3, and most of the clothes I used were sz.1. The waistbands are cut from the legs of cotton lycra leggings sz1. and the skirts are the lower half of tees also sz.1. For the dress, I attached the top section of a tank that does fit (it was stained on the bottom). I even went as far as to cut out some embroideries from another tee and applique them onto one skirt.
With a new dress and 2 skirts created from seemingly nothing and in no time at all….I felt like a genius! lol.