The “Champagne” Dress
Fabric: some sort of silk blend
Pattern: Burda 7696
Notions: zipper, buckle, hook & eye, bias binding
Time to complete: I don’t remember the initial sewing time, but to finish it took a few hours.
First worn: January 27th for photos
Wear again?: Once I drop 5-10 pounds
Total price: easily the most expensive fabric I’ve ever bought, but I don’t remember the amount
This is one of two UFOs I have. The other is a jacket I cut out maybe five years ago and then didn’t sew for fear it wouldn’t turn out and the sleeves would be too short (that was in my very early apparel sewing days). I didn’t choose that UFO, even though it matches my favorite made-by-me pants, because I wanted something quick.
This dress seemed to fit the bill. The only things I’d left undone were attaching the facing to the inside back of the dress and hemming the skirt. Why, you may ask, would you drop a project when all you had to do were those two tiny chores?
The reason for abandonment lies in the reason I was making the dress to begin with. I was making it last summer for my cousin’s wedding. I used a pattern for stretch knits because I liked the style, and I cut out a size bigger than I thought I’d need and made the seams smaller. It fit, but it was still very snug and I couldn’t envision spending a whole day in it. And what if it just decided to give and a seam split? That would be fairly embarrassing at what was obviously going to be a very expensive and classy wedding and reception.
So I went the safe route and wore something I’d already made and loved and knew was comfortable. I wish I could have worn this dress, though. I still haven’t lost the weight needed to fit into it comfortably, but maybe I will have by the time it’s warm enough to wear it. One can hope.
Once I started working on this UFO I realized I needed to bind the seams as well. For some bizarre reason, I started doing this by hand. I like handwork, but I could have cut time off this project by doing all of the seams by machine. After the back one, I switched to machine for the two sides and the front. Of course, if I had made this out of a knit fabric (which I plan on doing at some point) I wouldn’t have needed to finish any seams or put in a zipper (despite that the pattern calls for one, even for knits—weird).
I’m thinking I may be able to fit into this for Easter if I get my butt in gear or get a good corset. (Really, the biggest problem is the bust, and I’m not sure how much more I can do about that.) But since Easter is always pretty chilly, even when it happens in April, I’ll have to come up with a jacket or sweater of some sort to go with it. Here I’ve paired it with a lovely shawl my friend Valerie got me during her recent trip to Rome. This would actually work perfect for church done up with a brooch to keep it from slipping.
These photos, like those of the Down Under project, were taken in the Michigan State Capitol Building. Gorgeous, gorgeous setting.