The “Carmen Miranda” Blouse
⁃ Fabric: 1.5 meter red cotton, half meter of cotton from the Alexander Henry “folklorico” collection
⁃ Pattern: JJ Blouse, BurdaStyle
⁃ Year: 2010
⁃ Notions: 4 buttons, small amount of interfacing
⁃ Time to complete: ~4 days
⁃ First worn: this week
⁃ Wear again? yes!
⁃Total price: less than 5 EUR for the cotton, and about $5 for the cotton. So, the total price is somewhere around $12 or $13 depending on the value of currency.
BurdaStyle released this free pattern a few years ago, and it’s been on my “to do” list for a while. Empowered by cheap cotton I purchased at an open air market, I felt it was time to tackle it. Upon reading the instructions, I realized quickly why not so many people had completed it. The translation of the instructions is pretty difficult to decipher. So, I took a lot of photos and will post a tutorial on this pattern this week on my blog.
In the meantime, here’s my Carmen Miranda blouse (named for it’s festiveness) for the Valentine’s Day Red Challenge! At first, I just attached just one ruffle on each side. After trying it on with just two ruffles, I found it a bit plain, so I attached two more. The resulting blouse is a really festive blouse that I’m sure I’ll wear often. I finished most seams as flat-felled seams which left such a lovely finish! The inside is just as pretty as the outside… almost.
A note on the sleeve cuffs, though. If you have thick upper arms as I do, be sure to test the cuff around your arms before finishing.
Once I deciphered the instructions, the project was a whole lot of fun!