Almost “The St Valentine’s Day Massacre” dress.
Fabric Red and white polka dot jersey
Pattern BurdaStyle Danielle, free
Notions White bias binding
Time to complete about 4 hours
First worn Today
Wear again? Yes, when it gets warmer
Total price Everything from my stash, so can’t remember original prices. About £5.00?
I don’t really ‘do’ Valentine’s. I put this down to years of telling myself and everyone else that I didn’t give a toss about a commercial holiday invented to get money out of us. Of course this was mainly to cover for the fact that only cards I was likely to get would be from my dad and the dog. But I do think that if you love someone you should be able to tell them that every day, not just on Valentine’s. I do love red though.
The only red in my stash was a knit. Well I have been promising myself that I would bite the bullet and make something from a knit, so this would be my first attempt. I went for a tried and tested pattern, BurdaStyle’s Danielle. One of my favourite dresses, made for last year’s plaid challenge, used this pattern. I added the bias binding to sort of stop the neck stretching out of shape, and omitted the zipper (Yey!). Of course if I had done the research I would have known to cut a size smaller. And then maybe tried to fix it without hacking bits off all over the place. And I would have known that darts work differently on knits. Eventually I unpicked the lot and replaced the darts with two little gathers where they should be. I still need to hem the sleeves, I have been away this week, hence the late post, and just ran out of time. However overall I am pleased with my first attempt at knits. I just about got away with the changes I had to make and what was starting to seem like a massacre has miraculously turned out to be wearable. It is a little shorter than I would normally wear but I can still see it getting a lot of use in the summer.