the “wannabe parisienne” dress
Fabric: wool twill/tweed in black, white, pink, mauve, magenta. lining in silk marc jacobs heart print.
Pattern: Vogue 8511
Notions: 22″ zipper
Time to Complete: 8 hours
First Worn: January 24, 2012
Wear Again: Yes
Total Price: ~$75
Challenge Theme: “Made This Look”
i first spotted this photo on miss celie’s pants, when cidell posted what she called a “parisienne” dress from a BWOF pattern. i saved the image immediately, knowing that i would come back to it one day when i was in the mood for something beyond my usual routine of cotton blouses.
“made this look” gave me several opportunities on that front–it’s january, so a cotton dress isn’t really as much fun as it usually is, to begin with. but mostly this theme was a perfect chance to take a card off of my inspiration board and turn it into something real.
something wonderful happened while i was making this dress. i hit what can only be called “the zone”: that perfect chance when your skills and your image of your finished project are completely in sync. i don’t usually say that things go together “like a dream” but there is no other word to describe how easily and perfectly the pieces on this garment came together.
i started with my moulage and learned how to adjust a princess seam using a regular darted bodice. this was huge for me–i often avoid a princess seam because, since i need to flatten them so much, i find them even more difficult to fit than a regular darted bodice. even more importantly than that, however, i sat and took the time to do things properly. the seam allowances on the wool are trimmed and catch-stitched down for a clean, flat look on the bodice. the waist stay is pick-stitched by hand to the lining. the lining is hand-understitched to the bodice seam allowance. the hem is hand-stitched and trimmed with lace. the zipper is hand-picked.
i’m not going to lie. a lot of procedural reruns were watched in the making of this dress. but the end result was worth it and, best of all, didn’t delay my finished product.