The “Studly” Dress
Fabric: Stretch corduroy for the body, puff paint denim for the contrast, and cotton flannel for the pockets
Pattern: Chloe by Victory Patterns
Time to complete: 5-6 hours (including the muslin and fitting)
First worn: January 5, 2012
Wear again? Make again? Yes. Wear again? We’ll see.
Total price: not including pattern – about $6
For this week’s theme, I wanted to pay tribute to the humble stud earring. My mother pierced my ears when I was 6 months old. I had a diaper rash, the story goes, and she figured that I wouldn’t know which end the pain was coming from. Like her, I have a sensitivity to most of the earrings on the market and growing up I was forced to pick from the hypoallergenic display. Living in a rural area, there wasn’t much to choose from and we were stuck with the gold and silver ball studs. Although the selection has gotten A LOT better, my mom still wears her silver studs everyday.
To reflect the inspiration, I used a denim contrast fabric which has little silver studs that are the just the size of an earring. I love that it looks like polka dots from a distance but up close it has a nice texture to it. To make it possible to sew, the silver studs are actually embossed paint. Unfortunately, the paint also makes it difficult to press. I had to steam from a distance and let it cool before touching or the paint would smear.
The self fabric also proved difficult to press. This green corduroy has been hiding in my craft room before I even started sewing. Sometimes, there’s a reason why that fabric is still in your stash. It was almost impossible to get a good press on BUT it doesn’t shy away from wrinkling! I love the way it looks but it’s just so uncomfortable to wear. You see, to the touch it felt mid-weight but the fabric is just too heavy and bulky and I feel like I’m wearing a carpet. The only good part of this is that I can wear my granny panties and not have to worry about a seamline! I have to wonder if it will get pulled out of the closet again.
As part of my sewing plans this year, I want to get a better handle on fit so I made a muslin for this garment. There were only a few tweaks that I could spot – the biggest being 3/4″ off the waist length. The garment was snug but it still managed to pass the Mena test and since the corduroy had a bit of horizontal stretch, I decided to leave out the zipper and the back seam. Now that this version is finished, I recall a discussion during the Clover sew-a-long on the Coletterie. Sarai mentioned that the muslin should be made from stretch fabric because even if the non-stretch fabric is fit really snug the final stretch version will be baggy. Unfortunately, this is the case and I could take off several more inches from the side seams to get a better fit. We live and we learn!
The saving grace in all this was the pattern! Kristiann, of Victory Patterns, released her line in November and the love for these patterns is spreading fast. I was so excited that I decided to purchase three of the patterns straight off: Chloe (this one), Hazel, and Anouk. Chloe went together so quickly and even the muslin was flattering. The cap sleeves, the pockets, the princess seams – it’s all just so right! I can’t wait to make up a more wearable version!