The “Rosa” Top
Fabric: 2 yards red cotton sateen, $18 from JoAnn (from stash)
Pattern: Simplicity 3964
Notions: embroidery floss, interfacing
Time to complete: 8 hours? (not including embroidery)
First worn: Sunday
Wear again: Yes
Total cost: about $20
Since I pretty much avoid shopping altogether, this challenge didn’t call my name. Then suddenly in the middle of the week, inspiration struck. I remembered this top in the Tea catalog, which I probably received as a result of ordering clothes for my daughter online. I also remembered some red cotton sateen that I was planning to make into a Peony dress and a peasant top pattern I have. And then I set to work.
Of course, there was no way I could replicate the beautiful, massive embroidery of the inspiration. The simple design I chose took several hours. I like the way the red on red looks, but ideally the roses would be a little more noticeable. Boy do those light green leaves pop. I wish I’d gone with olive.
This is not your most basic top. That inset was a bit of a pain. I was patient and thorough, and I know I’ll probably wear this top more than I would a dress made out of the same fabric. But somehow I feel like I should have just bought the top from Tea, which is even on sale now. I know, I know, awful! Totally against the spirit of Make This Look! I’m pleased I was able to address two sewing goals for the year, to think more about embellishment, and to use what my machine can do (I used a decorative stitch on the inset). But yeah, I can’t say I’m super excited about the way either one of those turned out.
Please pardon the wrinkles; the top was bunched up into a puffy coat on the way to West Elm and a nearby French cafe, where these photos were taken. We finally had some snow here in New York this weekend.