The Optional Cowl-Scarf Blouse
Fabric: 1 yard of some cheap silk-esque man-made material from Hancocks
Pattern: Butterick B5562 with sleeve, tie, and neck-line modifications
Time to complete: about 5 hours (would have taken a lot less time if I did not have some fitting issues)
First worn: Not yet
Wear again?: Probably; Especially the scarf
Total price: not sure, but definitely less than $5–fabric and pattern were on sale and extremely cheap… :)
I am pretty excited about this top since I was able to draft my own ideas for this pattern and it came out not completely unsuccessful. I am such a fan of the cowl necklines and cowl scarves so when I heard about the accessory theme this blouse immediately came to mind. I wanted a blouse that could work with or without a cowl neckline. Here is the top with the cowl scarf (not quite the best picture, but you get the idea…).
I added a tie in the back in case the fit was a little loose, but I don’t think it was really necessary. I do like the extra detail though.
The fabric was not the easiest to work with, but it ended up being okay. You can see the issues that I had with the fit from the following picture of the blouse without the cowl scarf. (An easy fix for next time hopefully).
I did a French seam for the fabric since it easily frays but it came to be a little smaller than I anticipated. Also, the pattern was meant to be for knit fabric, but since my fabric was not stretchy, the top is still a little tight around my chest and hips. But all in all, I think it is still a fairly wearable blouse. My fitting skills are by no means perfect, but at least they are getting better through experience.
The best part of this blouse is the cowl scarf. I will most definitely be wearing this again. And best of all, it was so easy that I could not screw it up even if I wanted to!