The “OMG One-Day Challenge?!” Pinafore
Fabric: 1 1/2 yards (give or take) of a wool blend from Vogue Fabrics (a large remnant from my stash) and some bemberg lining (also leftovers from my stash)
Notions: 14″ Invisible Zipper, Stay & Hem Tapes, and Vintage Velvet Trim
Time to Complete: 14ish hrs. Yeah…. I’m a slow sewer.
First Worn: January 2012
Wear Again: Yes! I’m soo wearing this to work tomorrow.
Total Price: All the fabric and notions were leftovers from my stash. To approximate, I probably spent somewhere around $15.
Yes….I’ve officially dubbed this little pinafore, the ‘OMG One Day Challenge?!” Pinafore. Why you may ask? All last week, I was sitting around waiting for the challenge to be announced so I figured we all had an extra week before the Challenges began. Roll around to Friday evening, on a whim, I decided to log into the SewWeekly dashboard and only then did I read that the weekly creations were due on January 9th. Eeeep! Also, since I read hastily, I thought the 9th was Sunday and not Monday which meant that I thought I only had Saturday to sew together this puppy. I don’t think I’ve ever created a garment with only one day’s notice before and I am thoroughly impressed that I was able to tackle such a feat. heh
This week’s challenge was all about making a garment based on (or around) an accessory. This is the perfect theme for 2012′s first Sew Weekly Challenge. Last summer I bought a cute, little felt hat at the Vintage Bazaar since I was inspired by the recent hat craze. I think hats are lovely and wish people wore more of them, including myself. So for me, this week’s challenge was the perfect opportunity I needed to get out of my comfort zone and wear a hat since I had a perfectly cute hat that was screaming for an outfit to coordinate.
As I said before, I was on a time crunch this week and I decided to sew a pattern that I made last spring, BurdaStyle’s Jenny Skirt, except this time I decided to make version C with the suspenders for retro pinafore look. I cut out my pattern pieces for the Jenny Skirt, but found that I didn’t take such good notes last time around. So I found myself spending some extra time to refit the skirt, which was probably a good thing since I had haven’t worked out since before the holidays. :)
The only minor modification I made to the design was to crisscrossed the straps in the back of the pinafore since I think it makes for a lovely design element, that along with extra security for my narrow shoulders. Don’t you hate it when your straps fall down?!
After I completed the pinafore in my wool black & white tweed fabric I felt like it was missing something…
Serendipitously, I remembered that my mom gave me some vintage notions from her stash and in it I found the perfect velvet trim to add to the waistband. It made for the best finishing touch I could hope for since it complements my hat quite nicely, if I can say so myself.
Don’t you think how amazing it is that one little trim can really pull together an outfit?!
Even though I was pressed for time, it seems that I can’t help to make something unless it includes a lining. I’m certain that may change in the future, especially when the weather gets too warm and when I get in full swing with the weekly challenges. For the lining I used Sunni of A Fashionable Stitch’s new tutorial for cutting and sewing lining for a back-vent which was magical, as everything that she does seems to be.
Here’s a quick, closeup shot of my black & white wool blend fabric and of the finished back vent:
I don’t really like slits in my skirts since they just seem to invite the inevitable rips at tears on pencil skirts. So the back vent is a great solution to this problem since there is extra reinforcement from the satin stitching on the outside along with some silk organza strips on the inside for even more stability.
I am happy to report that I am 100% satisfied with my first official Sew Weekly Challenge. It’s only the first week and it has already pushed me to sew based on a theme that has enabled me to get out of my comfort zone. And what’s even better is that I was able to sew completely using leftovers (large remnants) from my own stash. :)