The “Keeping It Simple” Dress
Fabric: 2.5 yards of a cotton blend material from a thrift store (purchased as 3.5 yards for $6.00)
Pattern: Burda Anda
Year: May 2009
Notions: 25 inches of 1/4″ elastic
Time to Complete: ~ 4 hours
First Worn: January 6, 2012
Wear Again: For sure!
Total Price: ~ $4.50
Keeping it simple was my goal for the challenge this week. Ok, who am I kidding, this is going to be my mantra for the whole year. I have this nasty habit of taking a pattern and changing it all about…it’s never, ever worked out for me. I think it has to do with my impatience and the fact that I’m a lazy sewer. Hmph.
I wanted to keep my garment easy to construct and let the fabric be the tie between the accessory and the dress. The Anda was the perfect choice and was easy to resize once I did some google sleuthing. From there it was off to my local thrift shop where I found the beautiful green fabric with bronze tones and designs similar to those on my bracelet!
After the resizing, the dress came together very quickly. I really despise making bias tape so I hem rolled all the edges using the technique in this tutorial. To be honest, I think it looks so much nicer with a rolled edge than it would have with bias tape.
Between the bracelet and dress, I still felt I needed a little something else to make the look complete. I had some fabric scraps left over, so I decided to make a simple clutch.