The “How many capes does one girl need?” cape
Fabric: Cream, waffle texture Spring Suiting 2.5 yds $2-yd/ Leopard print cotton 2 yds $3-yd
Pattern: McCall’s 5764 View C $.99
Notions: Vintage buttons 5/$1
Time to complete: 10 hours (I am a slow sewer)
First worn: 1/15/12
Wear again? YES!
Total price: $12.99
When I first saw the button challenge I knew just what pattern I was going to use, my trusty McCall’s 5764. (Although the name has been chopped off in this photo, pesky editing.)Then when I found these buttons in one of my fave vintage shops I knew what fabric I would be using too. The stars were aligning. I first conquered my fear of buttonholes with this cape last winter. The second time around I added a lining via a tutorial on this blog, http://megmadethis.blogspot.com/2010/12/winter-cape.html, it’s awesome and so user friendly.
This time around I wanted to add a lining and increase my skills in the buttonhole department. I knew what kind of buttonholes I would be doing for this challenge because of Ms. Gertie and her awesome tutorial. http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2010/10/bound-buttonhole-tutorial.html
Bound Buttonholes! Oh yeah! There are 4 of these bad boys on the front, although my belt is covering one.
For my practice try I used the same waffle-textured fabric for the “lips”, but because of the thinness of the fabric there was too much lumpiness. If you are asking, “Can fabric be waffley and thin?” Oh yes it can. However besides the lumpiness the actual buttonholes turned out great. I credit the super easy, well-made tutorial from Gertie for my first try success.
For my next try I decided to use some similar colored cotton muslin. I think it worked out pretty well. Feeling pretty chuffed. (buffing nails on shirt right now) I did however do the facing-buttonhole-openings differently than was suggested. This fabric frays like the dickens! So I marked where the openings should be and made machine buttonholes in the facing. This worked out great and probably saved me from some additional cursing.
The collar probably should have been interfaced with stronger interfacing, but I like to move my head and neck around, so I omitted this. Like I said earlier, this is the third cape from this pattern that I’ve made. I love how easy this pattern is to make and wear. It hits at the hip and the belt keeps me from looking like a circle with legs.
I love how serious and conservative this cape looks from the outside and then when you open it up BAM! it’s covered in leopard print.
Here’s a close up of the button in it’s little bound buttonhole home. It looks so happy and makes me happy when I see them.
I’ve also been using button-backed buttons lately. I love the polished look it gives to a garment. I think it holds buttons on better too. Here’s a shot of the inside of my cape, that leopard print gets me every time. I finished the belt holes differently than Meg did in her tutorial. I made the “windows” instead of the extra-large button holes. The windows are basically skinny bound buttonholes without lips.
Something I’m beginning to realize is that I am a slow sewer. I’ve never tallied my hours before and was shocked that this cape took 10 hours. That time includes: fabric cutting, sewing, button hole practicing and making, hand sewing for the buttons, ironing and finishing. I really like a crisp finished look for all of my garments and that takes time. Perhaps I can start challenging myself to finish faster. Something to ponder anyway.
I took my photos at a local park that’s close to my home. This bridge has always been a favorite of mine, and you may see it in upcoming posts. Oddly enough, this park and some surrounding parks has been closed, up until recently, due to some serious flooding last spring. A lot of the parks are looking a little post-apocalyptic, luckily this bridge was up and out of the way of all of that. I have to say a major Thank You! to my hubby and daughter for snapping my pics. I had fun with this challenge and increased my skill-set to boot. Looking forward to the next challenge!
On a side note, I don’t think I said button or buttonholes enough in this post. Gheesh :)