The “Baby it’s Cold Outside!” Bathing Suit
I hate to start this post by complaining about the weather again. It’s cold outside and and the cold always makes me feel “fashion challenged”. Getting dressed in the morning doesn’t make sense sometimes. I throw on my coat, run about a thousand errands, and never take it off. This week’s challenge helped me to remember that the snow is only temporary. It will get warm again! It will!
Pattern: Vintage McCall’s Misses Bathing Suit
Fabric: 1yd lightweight stretch denim $4.99, 1/8 yd glittery leopard print fabric $10.99/yd. for the lining (for my inner Victoria’s Secret swimsuit model)
Notions: 4 -3/4″ buttons with anchor print $3.20
Total price: about $12.00
The thought of showing up in a bathing suit anywhere but in family photos almost made me pick another project for this challenge. I’m glad I didn’t though-I really like the way it turned out. I changed the pattern quite a bit for better shape and fit and to add some visual interest. The cups for the top were originally one piece and pointy. I traced the pattern piece onto some paper, brought the dart in on both sides by an inch, then used my Styling Design ruler to help me work the curve from the middle of the dart at the bottom to the point at the top where you attach the straps and cut it to make two pieces. I then made a sample with similar fabric from my stash. I tried the top on inside out and adjusted the fit for my final pattern.I decided to line the top with this fun leopard print instead of tricot. It’s like the girl next door on the outside and Victoria’s Secret supermodel on the inside. At first I wanted the top to button down the front but in the end it worked out better to have it fasten in the back and add the buttons as a decorative piece in front. I love hardware on clothing like zippers, studs, and snaps so instead of buttons on the back I added 2 snaps. I also decided to make it as a halter instead of attaching the straps in the back. Shows off my shoulders better.
The bottoms were enormous! I should have taken a picture of them before I reworked them. the waistline went above the bellybutton. I cut each front piece in two at the dart and brought it in an inch then topstitched the seams. I took the waist down by at least 4 inches and brought the sides and back inseam in by about 1/4″ to 1/2″ all around. The original pattern called for a small piece of elastic to be sewn along the back of each leg opening but I thought it would be better to have the elastic go all the way around and also added it to the waistband instead of the side zipper. The last change I made was adding a small pocket in back. Sorry the picture is so small-don’t feel like showing a large picture of my bum.
After having no luck finding an indoor pool to take some pictures I decided to brave the cold and take them at the beach. All for you my dear ladies at Sew Weekly. All for you and no one else!
I can’t wait to see what this week’s challenge has inspired you to make!