The “At Last” Blouse
Fabric: navy polyester from stash
Pattern: Colette Jasmine Blouse
Notions: fusible interfacing, thread
Time to complete: Four hours
First worn: January 24, 2012
Wear Again: Most definitely!
Price: $18 (pattern + thread)
When I first heard about this challenge, I became overwhelmed with ideas. Should I try and recreate a dress? Or would a skirt be better? It’s winter here – should I think about pants instead? Eventually I settled on this top from Modcloth. As you can see, it didn’t work out. I spent three hours on that shirt, only to feel like it was a big fail and scrapped it. Then I got the brilliant idea to go for a pencil skirt … and that didn’t work out, either.
I was randomly scouring the Internet when I came across Sarai’s fantastic polka dot Jasmine. It was love at first sight, and I knew I wanted a lovely navy Jasmine of my very own.
The pattern is a dream to put together. It took me no time at all, and I finally felt like I had made something wearable (after the two prior failures for this challenge). I was so excited about finishing it that I wore it to work today!
I am having some difficulties getting the facings to lay flat (even after tacking), so I’m hoping that ironing and washing will tame that problem in the future.
The only adjustment I would make to this pattern would be to the shirt cuffs. While I am no Michelle Obama, I apparently do have some muscles on my arms and should make the cuffs a little looser to allow for my “guns” to breathe.
Overall, I am super pleased with my new blouse. I finally made a look I could wear, and that is something definitely worth celebrating!
Have a fantastic night, all!