The “Almost Made This Look” Dress
Fabric Turquoise brocade. No clue what it’s made of but it melts!
Pattern Burdastyle 02/11 Tank dress with gathered skirt – with major changes.
Notions Turquoise zipper
Time to complete about 5 hours
First worn For these photos – January 2012
Wear again? Definitely, I just need a suitable occasion
Total price About £6.00
Make This Look – how hard could that be? I had the dress – the gorgeous ‘Go For Brocade’ dress by ModCloth. I had the fabric – not exactly the same but a bluey brocade of unknown composition. I had a tried and tested pattern -Burdastyle 02/2011 Tank dress with gathered skirt #104
However as usual it was very nearly a disaster.
Cock up number one. The iron. I cannot stand ironing. I did it as a job when I was sixteen and have done my best to avoid it ever since. Since I started sewing though it has been unavoidable. In my rush to get this part over with I forgot to check the setting on the iron and was confronted by a strange chemical smell as I started to press the first dart. I whipped the fabric away and tested an off-cut only for it to sizzle, smoke and weld itself to the iron. I had to turn the heat right down to the point where it was hardly worth pressing at all, but disaster was averted.
Cock up number two. The gathers. After stitching the bodice I began to suspect that making a gathered skirt with this fabric was not going to be easy. I was right. As I pulled the threads to make the gathers it started to fray uncontrollably, then the threads stuck, then snapped. I thought about doing pleats instead, but after more staring at the bodice on the dress form I had a brainwave. Okay, it wouldn’t exactly be Make This Look, but one of the reasons I sew is so I can wear unique garments that nobody else is wearing. Maybe I had subconsciously sabotaged this project in order to create something a bit more Taracat. I grabbed another pattern and cut a new skirt. What you see here is the Bastard Love Child of Burdastyle 02/11 and Danielle, with some serious tweaking to get the darts and pleats to line up. I guess I failed to Make This Look, but despite the slightly dodgy hem I’m still pretty pleased with what I finally came up with.