The “Almost Got It” Blouse
In last week’s post I wrote about a blouse gone wrong and had to make some cute little shorts at the last minute. Well this is the blouse. It’s still not perfect but I got closer this time.
I used McCall’s pattern M6512 look A and made it out of black chiffon (my first time working with this fabric). The chiffon was $3.99 a yd. and I needed about 2 yds. I also purchased two bags of buttons for $1 a piece and a yard of black interfacing for $3.25. Throw in some tax and round it out to about $16. With hand sewing and cutting and altering I would say it took me at least 10hrs. to complete.
Before I can even start sewing I need to make alterations to a top on the bodice and the sleeve. The arm scythe and bust points are always too high so I add an extra inch and a half. This pattern was tricky because the back yoke and sleeve were one piece. The first alteration I made added an inch and a half to the circumference of the sleeve in the back and another inch and a half in the front. That’s a pretty wide sleeve for a blouse that’s supposed to fit loosely already. I realized that I had made the alteration in the wrong place and had to patch it up and pin the entire pattern together to see where to make the alteration. I know the picture looks crazy- it looks crazier in real life. I am going to admit that I did not really know what I was doing. I ended up adding a lot of paper to the sleeve opening because I was scared that I wouldn’t have enough fabric there to make a sleeve and I figured it would be better to have too much and chop off the extra than not enough. The pieces didn’t match up but I was able to make it work because of the extra length. I ended up having to fold the blouse in half and pin the two sides together so that I could the cut and make sure that both sides were the same length.
The first step is working on the pockets. When I finished them they were both crooked. I had to take out all the stitching and make them again. Not perfect but better. I’ve discovered that I am not very good with curves. Aside from the sleeves and pockets the rest of the blouse came together pretty well. After sewing on the front band I was happy to see that the top and bottom matched up. I then added my buttonholes. After sewing on my first button I decided to button it and check it out. That’s when I realized that the neckband on either side of the front band did not match up. The left side was slightly higher than the right. I was stuck. The only choice I had was to take the stitching out and fix it by hand. That’s hard with chiffon.
So the blouse is not perfect. I noticed when I put it on today that the neckband is not symmetrical. It curves up on one side and out on the other. I still like it though and will definitely wear it again. I am determined to get this pattern right so I will probably have another go it. I’m wearing it here with a Space Invaders T underneath and my hot pink pants. The guys at Pop ‘N’ Go Nuts here in Evanston were nice enough let me take my pictures there. It’s a small store so getting a good picture was tough but it beats another shot of me in my apartment.