Eco-Friendly Travel Dress
Name & Location:
Catherine, Millerton, NY
How long have you been sewing: 16 years
Why did you want to commit to The Sew Weekly Challenge? To push myself to become a better sewer, create lovely things and make sewing friends.
What do you love most about sewing garments? I adore that fantastic moment when the pattern and fabric become garment reality.
What do you hate most about sewing garments? I hate it when some lazy misstep on my part ruins everything!
What do you want to accomplish this year with regard to the challenge: To sew really fantastic clothes and improve my sewing skill set.
Your biggest non-sewing goal of 2012: To organize my four children, my husband, my burgeoning stash and my rickety old Victorian house into some semblance of order!
Eco-Friendly Travel Dress
Fabric: A remnant of Mystery Fabric, probably Nylon, that I pulled from the garbage of a local upholstery shop
Pattern: 6934 , Schwabe Der Neue Schnitt 12/1953
Notions: one zipper
Time to complete: four hours
First worn: October 2011
Wear again? yes
Total price: 50 cents
I pulled a bag of fabric out of the trash at a local upholstery shop sometime this summer, washed the remnants and forgot about them. But when I decided to experiment with the vintage patterns in one of the German sewing magazine I had bought online, I wanted to use something that cost very little and that I didn’t like. So I chose this weird, mystery fabric that was in long narrow strips and had been in the garbage. In making it up, I realized that not knowing German was actually kind of a handicap. I could basically put the garment together, but I didn’t really understand the sizing or whether or not seam allowances were included. And since I didn’t know German, I didn’t know where to look in the magazine to find the answers that I needed. Moreover, Google translate translated the sewing terms into phrases about highways and parking garages! After fooling around with the muslin, I did finally come to the conclusion that I would need to add seam allowances to get the fit shown in the picture. So I changed the pattern, cut it out in real fabric and made it up correctly. That dress looked like the picture, but, strangely, I liked my happy-accident of a muslin too. For a pattern made up incorrectly and in an ugly fabric from the trash, the dress seemed to work. I liked it. So I decided to finish it; the total cost was fifty cents for a zipper from the thrift store. And now I have a vibrant dress that repels liquids, folds up small enough to fit into a film canister and retains no wrinkles. I am thinking of it as an eco-friendly travel dress.