‘Anita’s Cameo’ Dress
Fabric: Teal blue crushed velvet
Pattern: Colette Peony (although it didn’t start there!)
Notions: None (RIP 22” zipper)
Time to complete: 6 hours over two days
First worn: Monday to school.
Wear again? Totally!
Total price: $17.77 ($19.51 if you include that dumb zipper)
The Accessory: Great Grandma Anita’s Cameo Necklace
The morning of, I loaded up with coffee, put on my “don’t mess with me” boots (ladies be crazy at Joanns!), and grabbed my list. Walking up to the store, I took many deep breathes to focus my mind for the pending fabric apocalypse going on inside, but as I walked through the sliding doors there was…nothing. Could it be?!?! My first Sew Weekly Challenge and everything was working out right! I found the perfect fabric, matching thread, and–you’ve got to be kidding me–TWO COUPONS that saved me $20!!
I should have tried sewing the dress in the store, the parking lot, or my car; anywhere but home. Because, you see, that’s where things started to go wrong. Not all at once, just little tiny bits here and there. So tiny, even, that they never really even registered in my head as being problems. I went to wash the fabric and found laundry that I never finished needed rewashing and finishing. I reviewed my McCalls pattern and found that the pattern nymph stole my directions (the nerve)! Once tracing the Colette pattern none of my chalk, pencils, or markers would mark on the fabric! Still, they were seemingly small issues spread out over time and so I remained optimistic. This was for the challenge; there was no giving up! I drank another glass of wine and pressed onward, ending in a good place with a finished bodice and only a few more steps to go.
Sunday seemed to be a new day, with better luck. I successfully sewed on the zipper. It was beautiful! Until, that is, I went to zip the dress up and the pull tab flew right off the end!! The finished end, people! This should not have happened! Yet it did. I tried hopelessly for 20 minutes or so to get the pull tab back on before going all Celo Green on the zipper. I picked and picked and picked at the seems, and then I sewed that back end up. The material was stretchy (thankfully) and I’m a working-class gal…zippers, for the bourgeoisie!
In the end, I’m pretty pumped. The dress fits well and it highlights Anita’s cameo that I ended up making into a long necklace for now. Challenge completed. Bring on the buttons; I’m sure nothing will go wrong!