The “Mistaken Identity” Outfit | Adey Lim
Fabric: 2 metres gray cotton voile with pastel yellow/ brown/ gray floral print from chinatown $16, black remnant lining
Pattern: Simplicity 3304
Year: c. 1939
Notions: 6 Huge self fabric buttons $1
Time to complete: 5 hours
First worn: December 2011
Wear again? Yes
Total Cost: ~$17
Since I joined The Sew Weekly Challenge 51 weeks ago, I started this new habit of hanging my weekly creation on one of the wardrobe door handles until I’ve got the project photos taken. My hubby has grown so used to them that he sometimes becomes totally oblivious to their presence. On most weeks, it goes something like this.
Adey (excitedly): “Did you see my new dress/ creation?”
Hubby (who just had a change of clothes and his wardrobe is next to mine…D’oh!): “Er, no…. where was it?”
Adey (no longer excited): ” It was hanging just outside our wardrobe.”
Hubby: “Oh! I didn’t notice, will take a look later.”
But, once in a while he surprises me when he notices a creation and makes a comment. For this project, he kept telling me “nice dress”, ” sweet dress”, “cute dress” and I have been cluckling while saying thank you. My reaction got him really curious and one fine day, he decided to examine the ‘dress’ and while lifting the pleated front he suddenly exclaimed “Hey! It’s not a dress, it’s not a dress, these have got shorts underneath! How cool!”
I finally laughed and confessed that it was indeed a playsuit. Here’s my proof.
I don’t blame hubby for thinking that this was a dress. The pleated front kept the shorts hidden so well and created the illusion that this was a short girly dress. The difference, it’s an outfit in which I could ride a bike in and jump as high as I wish to. I would never have done this in a mini dress.
I couldn’t find buttons in my stash which complemented the look of the outfit and decided to make some myself. I’ve some self fabric button kits from Daiso in my stash and used these to make these huge fabric covered buttons. I love that these are so humongous:) As the fabric was rather sheer, I had to use two layers of the same fabric for each button.
And then, I decided to make this playsuit a little bit more fun, my own way. By placing what I call ‘twin buttons’ down the front, such that two buttons (instead of the usual one) are placed close together. 6 buttons were used in total and to ensure that the button placement did not create a more complex look, as I wanted to keep it simple, I ensured that each floral button was paired with one gray button with less print. While marking out button positions, I also made sure that the bottom set of buttons was positioned just below were I would tie a belt. This provides some sort of support for the belt and holds it in place.
The sleeves were shaped by four pleats at the shoulders and two at the arms and I loved the subtle folds these created and how well they complemented the gathered bodice/ front yoke section.
As the cotton voile was rather sheer, I kept the blouse section of this one piece playsuit unlined but lined the shorts for opacity. If I were to sew this again, however, I would like to lengthen the bodice as I’ve grown to realize that I’m more long waisted than what a typical 1940s blouse type pattern tend to be, they are often a little too short for me. I omitted the front pocket as I thought it would be completely lost in this print but if I were to sew this in a solid colour fabric, it would be an adorable detail to add.
It was raining heavily and almost cold on the day of this photoshoot (I got these taken at an underground carpark again) so it was far from being weather perfect but I can’t wait to wear this again on our usual hot and humid day. That’ll have to wait, however, as I’m in Hong Kong for the Christmas holidays. Here’s wishing you and your loved one a very blessed Christmas! OMG, it’s almost twenty twelve!