An Accidental Art Smock | Veronica Darling
Fabric: thrifted cotton, $.50c and remnant stretch knit, $.10c
Pattern: Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book, style K
Notions: just thread
Time to complete: 2 hours for top, 5 minutes for skirt
First worn: December 2011
Wear again? Yes for the skirt, maybe not for the top!
Total Cost: Under $1
Oops, somehow I made an artsmock instead of View K from the darling Japanese Stylish Dress Book! AND, for once I can understand why. The fabric suggestion (which of course I didn't read prior to sewing) was chiffon. And even with my poor sense of what fabric is what, I understand that chiffon and this cotton plaid aren't really the same thing.
Of course, there's no excuse (as it's been nearly a YEAR of sewing weekly) but my mind's been a bit all over the place! It's been a VERY jam packed November for us with renovating & moving house, and the month ended with a week of work in Sydney that was awesome and hectic. Our festive season is in full swing, and there's just so much on. I could see my window of opportunity to sew a Purple Power item getting smaller and smaller and smaller… EEP!
When I finally had time to sew, I grabbed my purple plaid cotton, found my Japanese sewing book and thought I couldn't go wrong. Whilst the pattern is so delightful to follow, it is the billowing art smock-esque silhouette that isn't too flattering!
The fabric is from my stash, thrifted as well, so quite a small remnant. I changed the pattern bodice front from a button down to sit on the fold instead, to save on fabric, but pretty much followed the rest of the instructions down to a T. As an afterthought, I added the vertical strip of fabric to the front, to add some buttons and therefore create a 'faux' button up shirt look.
This time round using the Japanese sewing book, I actually traced the pattern pieces to old butchers paper (recycled from moving house) so that took a bit of extra time. But after doing the gathers along the neckline, I began attaching the binding, and started to think something didn't look right! I was very close to adding the buttons to my fake vertical 'placket' (as the book called it) but after trying it on, I just had to laugh. I don't think I'd ever wear the top!
Ohhhh, damn! The drop shoulder and the flowing gathers would just be better with softer and floppier fabric. Oh well, next time! The skirt is the easiest to put together, made from some remnants of some neverending purple stretch knit, I cut around an existing stretch skirt (without distinguishing from front to back) and sew, right sides together, up the sides. It stretches around my hips, and it's pretty much a tube of fabric. Love it. SO COMFY.
So, it's a funny weird top and an awesome skirt from my sewing room this week. I wore the skirt to work today and still loving it! I totally don't mind purple, I think it suits the blondie and the browner skin I sport, but I'd prefer 'touches' of purple instead of heaps of it. I have a couple pairs of purple shoes, which I think is a great black and red colour friend!
Maybe it's my new sewing room layout or maybe my absent busy mind, but I also knocked champagne all over my lovely instructions book! Klutzy and absent minded this week!