The “Darling Stash” Peter Pan Collar Blouse | Adey Lim
Fabric: A cotton floral sheet, gift from the lovely Veronica Darling (Thank you!)
Pattern: Simplicity 3074
Notions: 4 green vintage buttons and yellow pom pom trim from stash
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: November 2011
Wear again? Yes, it’s the sweetest blouse in my wardrobe.
My last visit to the Salvation Army’s thrift shop was futile and I do not know any shop which sells old sheets, tablecloth or curtains in Singapore so in terms of materials, I had nothing to work with for this stash busting challenge using repurposed fabrics. Well, not until I recieved a huge package from the post office on 17 November. The lovely Veronica Darling has sent me a substantial stash of sheets and some lovely patterns! She’s a lifesaver!
The sheets are all so awesome and I had a tough time selecting which project to sew! One of my favourites from the stash was this light weight cotton with orange, yellow, green and brown florals and some subtle grey plaid like lines on it. It was the smallest of the sheets so I decided to sew a blouse from it. The mix of yellow, orange and brown made the fabric look so 60s that I just had to choose a pattern from that era.
I mixed and matched from the three blouse versions offered by Simplicity 3074, a 60s Peter Pan collar blouse pattern from my stash. Sleeves from version 3, bodice from version 1 and the collar was a size between version 2 and 3 as I thought version 1’s looked too huge while version’s 3 was too tiny for me.
Even before I cut, I remembered Veronica showing me how she could skip the hem by placing the base of the pattern on the hemmed section of the sheet and that was exactly what I did. It is brillant and I love that no hemming was required for this blouse:)
At the end of cutting out the pieces, I had zero fabric left and had to use an orange remnant to cut the bottom facings of the collar. I adorned the collar with a yellow tiny pom pom trim from my little girl’s stash, sewing it on the same way to sew piping, in between the top layer and facings of the collar. Please excuse my fingers in the photo as I was trying my best to press the trim down so you have a better view of it though some remained stubborn. I am quite pleased that most of the subtle grey lines matched up pretty well.
There are quite a few details on this pattern which I adore. The overlapping sleeve cuffs which added interest to the otherwise very normal sides, the inside tucks on the front and back waist of the blouse which enhanced the blouse’s shaping and fit while creating a bloused effect.
I paired the blouse with my high-waisted bella jeans in the main project photos but with these flattering tucks, I would be happy wearing the blouse both tucked in or out.
This is my first Peter Pan collar garment and I really love how demure the neckline looks, so I will definitely be revisiting this pattern some day. Please also excuse the lack of smiles in these project photos as I have just extracted a wisdom tooth last week and still find it uncomfortable to be expressive. Hopefully, it gets better by next week:)