A Refashionable Orange Skirt | Veronica Darling
Fabric: Vintage orange floral curtains, $4 for the pair and curtain rail cover (just one curtain used) and thrifted orange cotton, $.10
Pattern: Vogue Very Easy 8325, $1
Notions: invisible zipper and 1 large button, gift from friend's grandma's stash
Time to complete: 2 hours
First worn: November 2011
Wear again? Yes (please get warmer Melbourne!)
Total Cost: ~$3.10
In planning for this week's theme, I'd set aside some great thrifted orange (with white polka dots) cotton fabric, but when I went to sew, I couldn't find it anywhere! Just after I'd taken these photos of my darling floral skirt I found it again, fallen down the back of my sewing shelves. We're in the process of moving house, so all our things are spread across 2 houses and it's a little tricky to find things when you need them!
Orange is a common colour in my household. Everytime I wear it, my Husband declares 'I LOVE ORANGE', and we're planning on making orange and red more feature colours in our new home. We have vintage orange flour, rice and sugar canisters and some darling orange cat statues that used to belong to my Grandma, and a really orange 70s lounge suit which actually might be 'too much orange' in our new house. We'll see.
In it's former life, this fabric was actually a half window curtain, I always imagine them as caravan curtains if they are only about a metre long, but they could have been kitchen curtains as well. I saved half of the hem of the curtain and used that to be the waistband of the skirt, so that cut a bit of time, but as there were 4 skirt pieces, plus 2 pockets, I spent a few extra moments laying out the pieces so the best prints of the flowers and butterflies made it to the 'front' and on the pockets. It's like cropping photos, getting a flower or a butterfly in a really nice part of the pocket is well worth the time spent umming and ahhing over where the pattern piece should be cut.
The 1970s pattern is a Very Easy Vogue one, and it was so straight forward I could have made 10 of them in a row. I think every Very Easy Vogue pattern I've made is so true to its name! Because of the loud print, I just topstitched the pockets once and omitted the topstitching as suggested on the pattern cover, because I didn't want it to be too 'busy', but I blindstitched (using my machine) the hem with once again my varying degrees of success! Sometimes I get too much thread showing, so instead of a 'blind' stitch, it's more like a 'peekaboo' stitch!
With the pockets, I lined them with some spare orange cotton fabric, as I wanted to save the rest of the fabric for either pillow or bag pieces. I think it'll make great inserts or pockets for shop bags, or something that just needs a splash of colour.
As for my top; the tshirt is a second hand kids one from the op shop, and I had planned on turning it into a singlet, but the weather in Melbourne (surprise, surprise) has become wintery again, so I kept it long sleeved! The original T had thick ribbed binding on a very high neckline and sleeves, so I just lobbed the ribbed stuff off and it's the kind of tshirt material that's thick enough not to lose it's shape.
Everytime I make something with pockets, it becomes my new fave garment, so fingers crossed it becomes warmer again so I can wear this skirt all the time! Oh, and my new mustard shoes are from Singapore! New shoes with a vintage look! Thanks for the tip off Adey, the shopping was so much fun!