The “Staples Solution” Dress
Fabric: Rayon knit, thrifted $1
Pattern: Retro Butterick 5603 $.99
Year: c. 1956
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: September 2011
Wear again? Yes, with some adjustments
Total Cost: ~$1.99
This week's theme, Spanish Harlem, seemed to cause a few forum folks to scratch their heads in minor bewilderment. The theme came about because of last Friday's New York meetup — which was originally planned to be held at a park up in East (aka Spanish) Harlem. The vibe for the picnic? Think West Side Story meets Tito Puente meets Chita Rivera meets red roses. Of course, all the weekly challenges are open to interpretation, so frankly, anything goes.
I'd love to write a post about the marvelous day of eating, shopping, drinking and socializing that we had, but I've come down with quite a cold (I was just starting to feel sick at the meet-up) and I'm a bit too tired to be on the computer for any length of time. Hopefully I'll get another post about all that up later this week. Needless to say, it was a WONDERFUL experience to meet all these sewing phenoms.
But a little about the dress. It's a Butterick re-issue that was fairly easy to put together. I did have some fit issues that surfaced once I was in NY. You see, I had planned to wear a push-up bra that would have given me a little bit more in the breast department. In NY, however, I decided to just wear my everyday bra. With the slightly deflated chest, the bodice was a bit too large. When my search for safety pins or a sewing kit proved futile, I used the next best thing: a stapler. I managed shorten the shoulder pieces by simply stapling a larger seam allowance. Thankfully, the ties on the dress are removable, so they covered all offending staples. Problem (pretty-much) solved.