The “Sexy Worry Doll” Outfit
Fabric: Mexican-styled embroidered dress from Alameda Antique Fair, $5
Pattern: Butterick 2533 $1
Year: c. 1963
Notions: one vintage zipper
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: September 2011
Wear again? Yes!
Total Cost: ~$6
Considering that I just love how this dressed turned out and it fits the theme, I think it's only fair that it deserves its own weekly creation post.
As far as construction goes, this dress started out as a XL dress which really no structure. I knew I wanted to preserve as much of the embroidered as possible while giving it a 1960s cocktail silhouette.
Here's me holding the original — very NOT 1960s cocktail silhoutte — dress. It's massive.
The first thing I did was remove all the stitching from the seams. I detached the yoke from the bodice, removed the sleeves, removed the side-stitching and even took out the hem (it was really a poorly constructed hem.) Once I removed the yoke from the bodice, I had far more front material to work with. The gathers would be removed and the bodice would have darts.
To the left are the pieces I used from this pattern. I split the bodice pieces up to accommodate the yoke. Because the neckline was already hemmed and had the decorative embroidery, I didn't need to use the facings.
For the armholes, I used bias tape.
The one thing that bothered me about the dress is that the original embroidery was not stabilized in any way. So, because it was stitched on such thin fabric, it puckers quite a bit on the front skirt piece. If I was to make another dress, I would try to find one with less detail or better stabilization.
This dress was TIGHT. After a week of good eating in NY, this was the very last outfit I wore. I think the zipper (yes, there is a zipper) screamed when it saw my side flab coming. But I got all my body into this thing and didn't feel particularly uncomfortable.
I can only hope that this post's title will someday be a search result for "sexy worry doll costume."