The “Dark and Stormy Night” outfit | Kat Hardisty
Because I'm not a total unreasonable taskmaster, the ladies who contribute to the Sew Weekly are allowed to sit out challenges from time to time. This week Kat takes the place of Sarah, who needed to take care of a family emergency. Our best wishes go out to Sarah and her family! The amazing Kat has completed each and every challenge this year. Seriously, that's awesome. Thanks, Kat for filling in this week!
Fabric: Black suiting, gift from a friend. Black heavy cotton drill (no idea where from). Black drill with gothic crosses from Spotlight, $10 a metre
Pattern: Home Journal 5035 for the skirt, Vogue V1136 for the jacket
Year: Skirt 1957, jacket 1945
Notions: 6 vintage buttons, vintage hook and eye for the jacket. Invisible zip ($4) for the skirt
Time to complete: 9 hours for the jacket, 2 hours for the skirt
First worn: October 2011
Wear again? Yes, but probably not together
Total Cost: ~ $10
When I think Halloween, I think of witches and vampires, ghosts and ghouls, and dead souls at their closest point to the living. The colour black, dark make-up and stormy nights.
Therefore, it seemed like a good week to be a bit gothic-inspired!
I went hunting around for inspiration and found lovely pictures of gothic-styled girls with nipped-in waists, flared skirts, and high collars. Vogue V1136, one of the re-released Vintage Vogue series, seemed like a good candidate, with it's nipped-in waist, peplum, and shaped standing collar. Without thinking too much about it, I found some black suiting in my stash and jumped right in. 9 hours, 6 bound button holes, 14 tuck details, and some gathering later, I had a jacket. (Some of these vintage Vogue patterns need to come with a warning about how long they take to make. Sheesh.)
I paired the jacket with a Home Journal 5035 from 1957 – a simple straight skirt with two knife-pleats at the back. To add a touch more 'Halloween' to the outfit, I used some cotton drill with red gothic crosses as the back panel, which also made it look as though it was several decades later than the 1950s. The Home Journal pattern was a dream to sew – straighforward, and only four pattern pieces. If I didn't decide to add lining, it would have been all done in around an hour. I can see this becoming another of my tried-and-true patterns.
To add to the Halloween gothic style, it seemed like a night photo shoot was in order for this week, so off we trundled to the park late at night. The weather came to the party as well and provided a fair amount of Halloween type atmosphere – it was indeed a dark and stormy night! (And no, my hair doesn't usually stand on end like it is in some of these photos.) I attempted to live up to the expecations set by the dark-and-stormy weather, and look dark-and-stormy myself. (It's somewhat odd intentionally not smiling in photos.)