The Stylish Punk Dress | Veronica Darling
Fabric: Thrifted Tablecloth, heavy cotton, $4
Pattern: Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book, style M
Notions: none, just thread
Time to complete: 2 hours
First worn: August 2011
Wear again? Yes, I love it
Total Cost: $4
My week has been exciting, busy and gorgeous: it was my BIRTHDAY! And, my lovely brother and sister in law surprised me Yoshiko Tsukiori's 'Stylish Dress Book: Wear With Freedom', so I had to try out one of the dresses straight away! I've never really tried modern patterns before in my sewing, so this year at Sew Weekly has opened up so many firsts for me! Sarai's Colette Patterns have been an inspiration (so many different sewing techniques, making sewing quicker and easier for me) and these designs by Yoshiko are just as simple with some interesting illustrations to help you along the way.
A few weeks ago I'd selected the punk-esque orange and black plaid (a tablecloth – again!) for this week's theme, but wasn't sure of what style silhoutte it would suit. It's fairly heavy cotton or linen, really stiff and I bought it kinda recently at the op shop, thinking how punk by 1990s it looks. I did think it looks quite grungy because of the black, and would look great with a pair of Doc Marten boots!
In this Japanese pattern book, there are 26 'outfits' but as there's plenty of crossover in pattern pieces you could mix and match heaps more. I chose style 'M' because of the sleeves, plus because it used a scallop edging, which I thought I could use (AKA cheat) the already established hem of the tablecloth.
I only concentrated on making the white border of the skirt match up (which was the edging for the tablecloth), and can't believe my luck with the rest of it! I adore the different shapes plaid fabric can create! It makes me wanna sew more with lines!
The only trick to the pattern book, is that you have to trace the patterns to the fabric as they come on proper paper and not tissue. My last attempt at a pattern book (that wasn't tissued) was a little weird and let's just say 'experimental' as I kinda drew but then mostly cut where I thought the pattern pieces should curve. This time I tried much harder by using CHALK to sketch the pattern pieces (with my french curve as well!) whilst I held them down with my button jars. So I know this isn't the best way, but it was the quickest, and by far the best fit of my two methods. Oh boy, it wasn't pretty, but luckily I'd only cut the back bodice piece and then remembered I hadn't accounted for seam allowances! SHOCK! It all matched up kinda ok though, I made the front bodice armholes a little deeper to match the back bodice pieces once the side seams were all sewn up.
But it was so quick to sew up once it was all cut out, and as I'd mentioned the instructions were really straightforward, but I don't think I could have followed them when I was first starting out… so I'd say it's an intermediate level of sewing. I really love the carefree styles from the book, and am looking forward to making a few more of them!
And now, some skipping: