The “Mystery Solved” Dress | Veronica Darling
Fabric: vintage floral upholstery type fabric, $2
Pattern: Simplicity 3846, $8
Notions: vintage zipper, 20c
Time to complete: 8 hours
First worn: July
Wear again? Maybe after Thursday night!
Total Cost: $10.20
Watch out for your neighbours this week, for we are the race of Peeping Toms! I adore Alfred Hitchcock and his approach to filmmaking, and Rear Window shows the pleasure of watching and looking at other people’s lives… which is so much like going to the cinema! It was while I researched the American Designer week that Edith Head‘s name kept coming up with Hitchcock’s, and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how many wonderful costumes she’d created, especially for Grace Kelly in Rear Window.
It was my stash, my trusty stash of vintage fabrics, that chose the last dress, because I’m just not ready to go back to the fabric store just yet! It breaks my heart not to re-use material or be thrifty! I love the all black dress (in the middle photo), but another time. *sigh* So many beautiful Edith Head dresses! This floral dress is actually the part in the film where the mystery is revealed!
This darling floral upholstery fabric I had was only about 3 metres long, 45 inches wide, and unfortunately the pattern called for much more. I spent most of the time on this dress resizing the skirt pieces (3 of them, but all were used 2 times) so that *all* the pattern pieces fitted to the fabric I had. That meant the skirt is substantially shorter than the original pattern, but it would have been on the floor, and not tea (or just below knee) like the actual pattern cover depicts. Oh well, the hurdles and restrictions of using stash fabric! Such fun!
Overall, this 1952 pattern was a dream to work with, the facing on the collar was easy, the instructions were so detailed! I love the back neck cross over of the collar, and cute little darts:
Such a beautiful detail, and one that I’d not seen before! I took care (because of the lovely sheen of the fabric) to not have any exposed stitching, so with the armholes (bias binding) and the hemline, I used slipstitches and my blind hem foot/stitch. It’s probably the most care I’ve ever taken with a garment, and I love that it’s got an extra polish. As with all vintage patterns, the slender drawings on the cover is kind of deceiving, so in my opinion there’s a little bit of bulk across the bodice. But at least with such a full skirt, I can wear the fuller petticoats, and hopefully that creates a skinny mini waist.
Dressing up for the photos, I was feeling a little sad that I didn’t have a major event to wear the dress out, but I’d forgotten! The Melbourne International Film Festival opens this week, and I’ll be wearing this for the Black Tie Opening Night! No Hitchcock on the Melbourne program, but maybe we can all throw a dvd film festival in ode to the Sew Weekly inspirations in front of the couch this weekend!!!