The “Little Acorns” Romper
Fabric: Red broadcloth from Jo-Ann's, $10; red & white stripe fabric for facings, thrifted, $.50
Pattern: McCall's 6362, $.99
Notions: Invisible Zipper, $3.00
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: July 2011
Wear again? Yeah
Total Cost: ~$15
My inspiration for this week's was a moving target, albeit a consistent, red moving target. Although I knew I wanted to use the White Stripes as my artist, I couldn't decide on which album to choose. Ultimately, I decided on Elephant and purchased red broadcloth to make capri pants and red cotton for a western-style shirt ala Jack White.
The shirt had a promising start as I started by hand embroidering white roses based on the transfer that came with the 1970s-80s shirt pattern.
But of course, I should have known that whenever I take the time to embroider something, I run into some sort of problem that totally makes me regret embroidering first and then sewing.
In the case of this shirt, my collar was just a pointy 70s mess. I removed the collar twice (!) to trim it down and create a look that was less John Travolta and more Jack White. But it just wasn't meant to be. The idea of continuing on was just too much after two days of shirt sewing. So I moved it to my failure UFO pile and moved onto another album.
The eponymous debut album, The White Stripes, seemed straightforward enough: make something casual in red and white. I'm not quite sure what Meg White is wearing, whether it's a very short dress, a tunic or a romper. I decided to make a romper because vacation season is upon us and rompers and just so awesome.
With the broadcloth I didn't use for the capri pants, I decided to take on McCall's 6362, the romper pattern I used for the Cookin' Cornbread Romper MTL. Talk about a pattern that has a cover to turn you off of sewing! It's as if McCall's doesn't want to sell patterns!
Imagine the meeting:
McCall's Exec 1: We have this new pattern that could be the basis for some cute rompers.
McCall's Exec 2: Well, that's not acceptable. It's not like we want people to buy this pattern. What are you going to do about this problem?
McCall's Exec 1: Well… For the pattern cover, we could, umm… use some cheap-looking, shiny aqua fabric and pair it with an equally cheap looking black lizard skin belt.
McCall's Exec 2: I like where you're going with this. Go on.
McCall's Exec 1: And we'd make sure that the crotch hung down in a really unflattering way.
McCall's Exec 2: Nice. Let's hear more.
McCall's Exec 1: And, for the other view, we'd use more shiny fabric. And there'd be this gold chain belt..
McCall's Exec 2: Sold.
McCall's Exec 1: But I didn't even tell you about the shoes…
McCall's Exec 2: You had me at "gold chain belt."
Despite the cover, I took on the challenge McCall's 6362 and was pleased with the results. Although the broadcloth is a bit stiff for the romper, it still works. For the neck and armhole facings, I used some scrap red and white striped fabric I had lying around. That's my nod to The White Stripes' use of peppermint candies in their album art (and Meg's drum set).