The “Goal Weight” Top | Sarah Gabbart
Fabric: two thrifted pillowcases – chambray or light denim fabric ($2)
Pattern: Remixed Colette Violet pattern
Year: c. 2011
Notions: 7 vintage buttons and vintage bias tape, from stash
Time to complete: 3
First worn: June 2011
Wear again? Yes – when I lose a few pounds
Total Cost: $2
Holy pillowcases people – I'm shocked how much fabric you can get out of two standard ones! Two, two-dollar pillowcases, three hours and one remixed Colette pattern later I was the proud owner of a super cute top – albeit a tight one. Yes that's right – I cut this sucker too tight y'all!
Not wanting this shirt to look too much like my other Violet I decided to make this version sleeveless with a nipped in, peplum style waist. I used bias tape to finish the armholes and cut the bodice under the breast area, adding a band at the bottom (the hem is the finished edge of the pillowcase!) I also gathered both the bottom of the bodice and the top of the band and matched them together. The only fabric I have added to this was some Liberty scrap under the color and inside the facing to add some contrast.
One important detail I neglected was making the blouse bigger to accomodote the new waistline. D'oh. It is now justalittletootight in the waist and hip. No worries though! I'm in the process of losing weight and it should be perfect once I drop the next 2 – 3 pounds. So BAM – goal weight top!