“Separates are more fun” outfit | Adey Lim
Fabric: Vintage floral broadcloth from etsy $6 for 3 yards and sky blue cotton 2.5 yards from fabric.com $12, chiffon lining for skirt from scraps.
Pattern: Advance 6394
Notions: 10 blue buttons, hook and eye and zipper from stash
Time to complete: 9 hours
First worn: 30 June 2011
Wear again? Yes, the joy of mixing and matching!
Total Cost: $18
Advance 6394 was my first choice for the summer dress theme. The 1950s pattern was for a halter top, skirt, shorts and jacket. The original plan was to join the halter top to the skirt to create the dress. However, after finishing the halter top, I liked it so much that I decided that the top and skirt have got to stay separated. The top just has so much potential. It can be worn with jeans, shorts or skirt. Being UFO intolerant, I am proud that it was the only one around.
The good thing about a UFO theme this week is I not only got to finish the skirt, I completed the pair of shorts from the pattern too. Sewing the outfit, I found the Advance pattern to have quite a bit of extra ease, I had to take in quite a bit at the sides of the halter top and adjust the waistbands for the skirt and shorts. Their length were also shortened.
I waited three days for a sunny day as I wanted to ride a bike in this outfit but it rained and rained since I finished the project. It didn’t occur to me while I was happily sewing away that having these separates could actually complicate matters for photo taking as a changing room became a necessity. With these issues at hand, I decided to snap the photos at home. This way, I can have fun mixing and matching the separates!
The floral fabric is vintage, most likely from the 60s and I got 5 yards of it at $10 together with the fabric used for my Easter dress. I was little surprised that the color turned out more vibrant after I washed the material. I guessed it has been layered with dust after all these years. I used a sky blue fabric for the pair of shorts and loved its front pockets, pleats and high waist.
In the close up photo below you can see something resembling piping running through the entire back section of the halter, only that it isn't piping. What I did was to cut the facing (the facing here is the reverse of the entire top halter piece) slightly bigger than the halter piece and after turning over I ironed the extra bit out and top stitched. I really like this little bit of contrast at the edge.
I took quite a long time to sew this outfit as there were altogether 10 buttons, 10 buttonholes and 10 darts to sew. That has got to be the most buttons and darts I have ever sewn in a project. Besides the usual single pointed darts, this unprinted pattern also came with two rather irregular double pointed darts at the back of the shorts. I documented how I used pins to align the dots for sewing the darts on my blog for Behind the Seams this week.
While the photo shoot can sometimes be my least favorite thing to do as part of a project, I totally enjoyed this week's shoot. Separates are just so much more fun to pose in!