MTL: Ordinary Happy Moments Dress
Today's MTL comes from Alexandra who wishes for a DIY version of the Ordinary Happy Moments Dress from modcloth.com. I received this request this morning and just had to immediately MTL-ize it when I saw the dress print. I immediately knew that the Liberty of London Tana Lawn Umbel in Red/Grey would be perfect! At $28/yard at Fabric.com, it's not cheap. Two yards at $28 makes the dress a reasonable $56 — still far cheaper than the $182.99 price tag.
- Ordinary Happy Moments Dress from modcloth.com ($182.99)
- Fabric: Liberty Of London Tana Lawn Umbel Red/Grey ($28.98/yard fro Fabric.com)
- Pattern: McCall's 6349
- The original dress from modcloth has buttons running down the front. With the lightweight lawn fabric, I wanted to choose a pattern that stays true to the style but will be easier to construct. If you wish, you could add faux buttons to the bodice for a similar look.
- Add a belt using the Liberty fabric that ties in the front.
- If you're into extra work, make a gathered strip of fabric as trim for the bodice (you'll insert it between the dress and the lining before you attach the straps.