The “Caps for Sale” Outfit
Fabric: Polyblend Tweed, $11; fabric remnant for vest & lining
Patterns: Simplicity 4044, Simplicity 8013
Year: c. 1940s, c. 1977
Notions: Invisible zipper, 4 black vintage buttons $3.00
Time to complete: Lost track. A while. Too long.
First worn: May 2011
Wear again? Yes, but not together.
Total Cost: ~$15
If anything positive could be said of my last week's sewing adventures, it would be that I at least have a lot of UFOs to add to my collection! Yay! No, not yay at all. In total, I started these garments:
- Skirt #1 (unfinished)
- Vest (finished)
- Culottes (scrapped)
- Skirt #2 from salvaged culottes (unfinished)
- Cape (unfinished, given to my daughter)
- Skirt #3 (scrapped)
- Dress (scrapped without much work)
- Shirt (unfinished)
Wow. Writing this all down makes me feel even worse about my sewing week! There were a lot of misses this week, so many that I actually tried to figure out a way to get out of this week's challenge. It's not that I didn't like this challenge. I had, in fact, been looking forward to it for weeks. The truth is that I just had an bleh sort of week, a week in which sewing seemed more like a chore than a pleasure. Combine that with an inability to settle on just one story and it's no wonder that I ended up with 9 garments. What you see in the above list is three books: Madeline, Caps for Sale and Olivia .
Madeline had been my original choice and I was quite excited to sew something reminiscent of a French schoolgirl's uniform. Items #1 and #5 were for that book. The more and more I sewed my Madeline outfit, the less excited I felt about the story choice. Madeline wasn't a book from my childhood — it's a book I currently read to my daughter. I love Madeline but I really wasn't feeling it. The same went for Olivia (items #6 and #7).
I just kept on coming back to Esphyr Slobodkina's Caps for Sale, a book from my childhood. Wanting to make some separates, Caps for Sale afforded me an opportunity to make a shirt, vest and pants (I had been wanting to sew up a newly-acquired vest pattern). Because of a bad fabric choice, the shirt (#9) ultimately got the axe and I ended up wearing the blouse from this outfit. The culottes from Simplicity #4044 ended up being too-tight and I attempted poorly to turn them into a skirt (#2). When that didn't work, I put it aside and switched back to Madeline.
But that didn't last and I decided to do something drastic — buy some new fabric at the fabric store and force myself to make my Caps for Sale outfit work. So that's what I did. 1 3/4 yards of poly tweed and Simplicity 8013 later, I had my heavily modified pants (I didn't like the lack of waistband in this pattern and the whole thing ran really large!).
I could go into detail about making the vest, but there really wasn't anything to it and I'm far too tired to stay up any longer tonight. The one thing I'll say is that it's a big tighter than I'd like (I had to work with a 30 bust) but, oddly, I really like it!
All I can say is thank goodness I already had a cap. I was so not in the mood to make one.