7in7: Day Three, Eclair
Fabric: Thrifted orange floral cotton, $1; Green cotton from Joann's, $2.99; thifted cotton lining $1
Pattern: Colette Patterns, Eclair
Notions: Invisible zipper, $3, boning, $4.50
Time to complete: 9 hours
First worn: May 2011
Wear again? Yes, with a bolero or shrug.
Total Cost: $12.50
I'm not a huge fan of strapless dresses. They're just so super hard to pull off when you need the extra support of bra straps. As someone who reached a 40 "G" during pregnancy and subsequent nursing, my breasts have required a lot of support during these past years. Oh, so is life.
Therefore, my biggest fear when it came to making up this Eclair was breast support. Strapless bras alone just don't do my chest justice so I decided to take on the optional step of adding boning to the bodice lining. Yes, for a dress I need to make up in a day, I decided to tackle something I've never done before. Oh, I made the piping for the bodice from scratch as well. I'm kind of sick like that.
Things I'd do differently next time
- I'd probably still add the boning, though I'd consider adding tiny spaghetti straps to give me the support I need. I wanted to make up this Eclair without a strap modification to be true to the pattern. However, without straps, I'll probably just end up wearing this dress with a shrug or bolero.
- When inserting the boning, I'd leave out the boning at the seam with the zipper enclosure. I ended up having to take out that boning because I couldn't correctly insert the zipper. It didn't make any difference once the dress was completed.
- I'd make the underling a little longer so that it peeked out of the bottom. Perhaps it would have a decorative lace or eyelet.
- Make the bodice one size smaller. I think a really snug fit is necessary to make these guys work. Not so tight that fat oozes out of the top, but tight enough that it doesn't feel like it's going to fall down.
Things I like about the dress
- I love the fullness of the skirt and the skirt lining. It's not too full and probably the perfect length.
- Despite how difficult it seems, the bodice lining with boning wasn't that hard to construct. I was surprised that the lining and the shell actually came together quite well.
- The ties are a really nice touch. I didn't get a good picture of the back, but they look nice and full.
- With the aforementioned shrug, I can see this dress getting a lot of wear.
Also! Want to buy your own Eclair? Colette Patterns is offering Sew Weekly readers 20% off the patterns until May 18th. Just use the code: SEVEN20 (It's case sensitive).