7in7: Day Six, Rooibos
Fabric: Quilting cotton from Joann's, $8.00; Alexander Henry fabric for contrast, $5
Pattern: Colette Patterns Rooibos
Year: ContemporaryNotions: None
Time to complete: 5 hours
First worn: May 2011
Wear again: Perhaps
Total Cost: $13
I have such an awesome readership that is just so supportive and complimentary! As far as daily affirmations go, I'm pretty lucky. It's almost sort of ridiculous the circumstances that this dress was created around. After I wrote my post about xoJane, I decided I didn't want to miss the launch party in New York tomorrow night. So, I booked myself on a red-eye for tonight (I'm actually at the airport right now). I had basically 12 hours to finish this dress and Oolong before I left. And then my sewing machine broke. I think I worked it to death! Luckily I finished Rooibos before any of that happened. Whether I finished Oolong is a mystery that will be answered tomorrow.
As far as this Rooibos goes, everything came together once I figured it out.
Things I would do differently next time
- Use heavier weight fabric for the shell. I used a fairly lightweight cotton for quilting that just doesn't have enough heft. The fabric weight is the factor that would prevent me from wearing it again. A better fabric and a pretty perfect dress
- I would not take an hour to figure out how to stitch the armholes. If you have ever made Rooibos, you'd know what I mean. The rolling thing was just so confusing. But once I figured it out! OMG! Once I figured it out, I couldn't believe that there was any other way to stitch a lining. I was truly blown away.
- I use piping or some other interesting embellishment (buttons down the front). I was just too crunched for time.
Things I like about Rooibos
- Those same sleeves/lining instructions. Once I figured it out, I was just so happy
- It's really easy
- I was able to skip the zipper and get it over my head!
Also! Want to buy your own Rooibos? Colette Patterns is offering Sew Weekly readers 20% off the patterns until May 18th. Just use the code: SEVEN20 (It's case sensitive).
Tomorrow: The challenge ends with Oolong!