7in7: Day Five, Crepe
Fabric: Quilting cotton from Joann's, $21; green fabric for tie, $2.99
Pattern: Colette Patterns Crepe
Year: ContemporaryNotions: None
Time to complete: 3 1/2 hours
First worn: May 2011
Wear again: Yes
Total Cost: $24
After the nightmare that was was working with chiffon for the Chantilly dress, this Crepe and its robust cotton was such a welcome change. Although I was sewing late at night (I started around 9:30 and finished at 1:00am), the act of sewing Crepe was quiet relaxing. Partly because I had just sewn one for last week's challenge and partly because it's a really easy pattern to make up, there wasn't a single hiccup in its construction. Yay for easy sewing!
Things I'd do differently next time
- I'm going to move down to the next smaller size. There's a little more room in the top shoulders area than I'd like. And, it would just mean that I wouldn't have to tie the dress as tight.
- Make it a tad bit shorter. Nothing drastic, just an inch or so.
- Embellish it. It's such a great base to build on. Don't be surprised if you see this dress made up for a third time this month!
Things I like about this Crepe
- The fabric! I was so surprised to find this fabric in the quilting section at Joann's. The fabric I used for my Macaron also came from Joann's. It's quite a nice development that they're stocking more than the usual fleece and silkies. The green tie is the same fabric as the stuff used for the Eclair.
- It's just such an easy dress to wear! It's a perfect dress for wearing out on errands and just doing boring life stuff.
Also! Want to buy your own Crepe? Colette Patterns is offering Sew Weekly readers 20% off the patterns until May 18th. Just use the code: SEVEN20 (It's case sensitive).
Tomorrow: I take on Rooibos!