The ‘Summer in the City’ Dress
This week, the lace travels up to Canada and to Tasia, from Sewaholic. Both Tasia and I began blogging about sewing around the same time last year — in fact, I first started reading her blog when she sent me an email introducing it to me. In the last year of so, her addiction to sewing has not only resulted in a wonderful sewing blog, but also a line of her own sewing patterns including the Pendrell Blouse and the new Crescent Skirt! Thanks so much, Tasia, for participating in A Common Thread and sharing your delightfully feminine dress! Bravo!
Fabric: Cotton sateen from Fabricana (my local fabric store), $12.98/metre
Pattern: Vogue 1174
Notions: Lace from Mena, regular zipper, plastic boning, muslin bodice lining, cotton batting for bust padding and thread
Time to complete: Two weeks broken up into little bites, a couple of hours at a time.
Wear again? Definitely!
Total Cost: $34.11 for the fabric and notions, the pattern was from my collection.
I was thrilled to be invited to participate in this project. What a wonderful concept! I was flattered to be included along with such talented sewists around the world, and couldn't wait to receive the lace in the mail.
Once it arrived, like Sunni, I also found it challenging to design around the trim. I'm so used to choosing the fabric first, or choosing the pattern first, but never the trim first! It's an interesting way to start a project, almost like working backwards. I've often spent time sifting through my button collection, dreaming of projects to feature the best ones, but I've never actually created a whole project around a notion!
For this lace, I wanted to have it inserted somehow into the garment, not sewn on top, so that it didn't look like an afterthought. That's when I thought of using it like a piping, inserted into seams, for a more deliberate look. I remembered making Vogue 1174 last year, and decided the piped seams along the bodice were a great way to use the lace.The best part of making a pattern twice – or three or four times? The opportunity to make little improvements with each version. It's a second chance to fine-tune anything that wasn't exactly right with the first garment! For the second version of this dress, I added straps to make it more wearable for daytime, and padded the bust with handmade cotton batting pads. The things that stop me from wearing the first version often are its flattening tendencies and the fact it was strapless, making it a little too dramatic for everyday wear! A little bit of strategically-placed cotton batting made a world of difference! Just a slight amount of padding created a well-rounded silhouette and added a little modesty.
I picked a bold, bright floral print to contrast with the delicate lace, and I quite like how it turned out. It was cold and windy when I took these photos, but luckily the sun was shining. I plan to wear this dress again several times once the weather warms up.
Thanks to Mena for inviting me to participate in the Common Thread project!