The ‘Whippin’ Something Up’ Apron
Fabric: Black Linen bought in NYC $8 for 3 metres; 2.5 metres of polka dot fabric for £10
Pattern: McCall 917 for the apron and Burda 02/2011 #101 for the dress
Year: 1941 for apron
Notions: Self-made piping (present wrapping cord: free)
Time to complete: 5 hours for the dress and 7 hours for the apron
First worn: April 2011
Wear again? Yes
Total Cost: ~£16
I love vintage aprons. There are so many amazing styles. So I was delighted to hear we would be sewing aprons as one of our themes. I immediately thought of McCall 917 from 1941:
The apron was pretty straight forward to sew up. Though I must say, if you think an apron from this time period is ‘quick and easy’ then you are in for a surprise! There are so many edges to this apron that need facings or narrow hems–it can be quite time consuming. I do really like all the details such as the bow in the back:
Or the adorable ruffled pockets:
I actually faced the bow with the same black linen fabric as my dress. The instructions originally called for the bow to be narrowly hemmed but the back side of the polka dot fabric is white and it’s quite noticable. I did the black lining for the shoulder ruffle as well.
This was my first time sewing an apron but this was also my first time sewing a Burda pattern. I did struggle a bit with the different style of instructions. I’ve been getting Burda magazines for awhile so I really want to learn how to make their patterns. This was a good first try. The dress was somewhat difficult to fit in the bodice. I think this may be because I have fairly narrow shoulders. Despite fitting it in the bust area, the shoulders and the back, there was still a bit of gaping in the bust area. I decided one way to remedy this (without making a new dress) and to add an interesting feature would be to do piping in the same polka dot fabric as my apron.
The cord I used was the only thing we had around the house and that was a cord used to wrap presents. I put the cord in the polka dot fabric and wrapped it up and sewed it up as piping to add to the neckline and armholes of the dress. I really like how it turned out. Though, I must say, this dress is a bit low cut…hahahaha..whoohoo. Something for me to get used to.
I’m really pleased with how it came out. I got the idea from Adey’s Blue Garden Frock. I loved the idea of just sewing piping into a pattern and thought it could work just as well as the facing to this dress!
I’m quite spoiled as David does a lot of the cooking around here. Of course, there is one type of ‘cooking’ that I really enjoy:
Cheers everyone! As my Grandma would say “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do, which isn’t much!”