The “I Don’t Do Aprons” Apron
Fabric: Black linen, $1 thifted, 4 floral napkins, $1
Patterns: Burda 02/2011 #101, $5.40; Apron, free
Year: Apron, 1940s; Dress, 2011
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: April 2011
Wear again? Dress, yes with a belt. Apron, unlikely.
Total Cost: ~$7.40
After last week's success, I knew I'd have a difficult time coming up with something that made me as happy as my "Mondo was Robbed" dress. I don't cook and, despite the complete naturalness of the above picture, I do not spend much time tending vegetables. But I know what you're thinking: "you look so comfortable in heels with that pitchfork!" Because of this lack of domestic tendencies, the notion of making an apron just didn't excite me.
For the apron, I decided to use a 1940s "hank-afore" pattern which I found at tipnut. I liked the idea of using some vintage napkins I had because (1) they were originally made from a feedsack and I thought it would be nice to give them life yet again as something else (2) it was an easy enough pattern to follow (3) I wasn't feeling apron sewing this week and the idea of already hemmed edges excited me the most.
The pattern was a breeze to follow. The illustrations on the pattern page showed exactly how the hankerchiefs/napkins needed to be cut and put together. I was able to put it all together in about 20 minutes (minus the alterations I made to cut the top off when I didn't like it). I believe that if I had used hankerchiefs with more intricate patterns, I would have been much happier with the finished apron.
For the dress, we are all sewing the same Burda pattern in black. As you'll see this week, we all had mixed results. I actually really liked the dress and could imagine making more of these guys in brighter colors (I don't really wear any black). The dress is a bit loose at the waistline so it really does require a belt to look more flattering. At least it's comfortable, I guess.