Restoring Antique Cross Stitch Patterns
Last week at an estate sale, I picked up a French DMC cross-stitch pamplet that I believe is from between 1915-1920 (based on the motifs and the presence of Charlie Chaplin in one of the panels). Given that it was only $.50, I didn't look through the whole instructional booklet before buying it an bringing it home. When I did bring it home, I saw that the majority of the pages were not just old and crumbly, but had a significant amount of mold.
I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of mold. Go figure.
I decided that even though it was ephemera worth keeping, I didn't want the thing in my house. Right now, days after I handled the thing, I'm getting hives just thinking about the thing. My skin is incredibly sensitive to molds (and most things) so the only thing I could do was scan it and toss it.
I do want to preserve the patterns so I've started restoring the pages digitally. Here's the above page after a little TLC:
There are 19 pages in all, so it'll be a bit of an undertaking. I was thinking that if people were interested, I'd sell the PDF of the restored booklet on Etsy for a few dollars. I should have searched before doing this restoration! Someone beat me to the punch and already created a PDF of the booklet. I love the Internet! Along with so many more. What a great resource!