No Sew Hat Pincushion Tutorial
Last week, at the Alameda Antique Fair, I spied a cute little felt handcrafted pincushion for sale as part of a larger sewing notions lot. Since I didn't need the larger lot, I took a note on how to construct the pincushion and was able to whip it up in under 20 minutes. As part of 30 Days of Pincushions, I present this No-Sew Hat Pincushion tutorial.
Materials you'll need
- Felt, 36" x 1 1/2" with pinked edges (you can buy felt off the bolt); Felt round with 5" diameter
- Flower or some other finishing touch
- Glue; either tacky, felt or glue gun will work
- Pinking sheers
- Take your 36" x 1 1/2" felt strip of felt and roll it tightly in a roll. Make sure that the edges are all aligned. When finished, take your glue and apply it to the edge of the outside piece. Press down and secure with a pin while it dries (unless you're using a glue gun and it dries instantly)
- Apply glue to the bottom of the hat roll and press firmly onto your felt round (5" diameter with pinked edges).
- Trim the hat with ribbon where the roll meets the round. Glue ribbon end and secure.
- Decorate hat with a flower, button, decoration, etc…
That's it! It took me longer to write this brief tutorial than it took to make the pincushion. And best of all, no sewing was needed!
If you make your own hat pincushion, be sure to share a link over here!