The “As you like it” Apron | Adey Lim
Fabric: 2.5 metres black linen with black embriodery from Shanghai $11.60, 2 metres poly lining $3, 1 yard Patty Young fabric $6 on sale from Moopie Fabric, 1.5 metres pink/orange polka dot fabric $7 from chinatown and scraps
Pattern: McCall's 1877 and Burda Magazine 02/2011/101
Year: c. 1954 for the apron
Notions: Buttons, zipper, lace, ribbons and ric racs $1.40
Time to complete: 5.5 hours for apron and 4 hours for the dress
Wear again? The dress- yes, but only with a thick bright colored belt. The apron- the next time I bake!
Total Cost: ~$29
I smiled as I saw Mena's post on the Kiss the Cook theme. It's the exact pattern I chose to use for this week's apron project!
To be honest I wasn't terribly excited to work on an apron as I hardly enter the kitchen these days. I used to cook and bake a lot before my girl was born and totally enjoyed it. Reading cook books (my favorites were Nigella Lawson's and Jamie Oliver's), trying on new recipes and baking were what sewing is to me. But, seeing a cute apron pattern totally spurred me on. It's from the year 1954 and came with an interesting bib. I imagined that with a cheerful print it would look really lovely and flattering over a black dress. I used a pink and orange polka dot and mixed it with a bright green flora print.
Neither did I plan to venture into an ambitious project since I thought I wouldn't be using the apron I have made. However, after reading the instructions, I somehow didn't fancy the idea of having an apron finished with turned in side seams and all round the bib so I made the decision of making it totally reversible. Two looks in one. Used as you like it. I had to totally not refer to the instructions of the pattern and use the techniques I had learnt from making my gal's reversible dresses.
Here's the more subtle reverse side.
When I bought the black linen used for the dress, it was near the rolls end. The lady asked if I wanted the extra bit on the roll and was willing to give that to me free as it didn't come with any embroidery. Using the rolls end and left over pink/orange polka dot fabric, I embellished the reverse with some ribbons and and scraps.
I also shortened the hem a little so that the pink and orange polka dot fabric on the other side ends up as border for this side. The most difficult part was getting the ric racs on both sides of the apron waistband to match and sewn back to back.
The burda dress was pretty easy to put together and I did so without referring to the instructions. I used a black embroidery fabric from my stash. The dress turned out all right, not exactly flattering at the waist. This is my first black dress sewn and I think I would only wear this with a thick bright belt. I just have a thing for more vibrant colors and prints and suffered from color incongruency when I put it on.
Having said that, I do love the black embroidery on the dress and managed to match them on the side seams.
After finishing my Pendrell Blouse (my last UFO! Yay!) and loving how the prints matched, I'm totally into matching them now! I didn't like the idea of cutting the back bodice pieces separately especially when the zipper is on the side, so I cut it on the fold instead.
My hubby has been asking for the Dense Chocolate Cake, one of my best discoveries from the 'How to be a Domestic Goddess' book. We have purchased all the necessary ingredients but I have just been feeling too lazy to bake. This apron might very well be the push I need to revisit my 'old flame'-baking- once again. Now, to decide which side to use…
More photos and info on Behind the Seams this week if you are interested! Have a great weekend!