Dinner Date Dress | Veronica Darling
Fabric: Dress – Red synthetic drapy stuff $8 from Lincraft & Bolero – Velveteen op shopped fabric ~ $.50. Both garments are faced/lined with thrifted red lawn, $1
Pattern: Simplicity 3546, from Etsy $7
Year: circa 1950s
Notions: Vintage zipper (12") $.50
Time to complete: 5 hours
First worn: February 2011
Wear again? Yes, the bolero especially!
Total Cost: ~$17
Happy Valentines Week! I had a great week of sewing this week, lovely fabric and a lovely vintage pattern! I'd recently got this Simplicity pattern from a darling etsy seller, and really wanted to try it for the Valentines theme, because of it's darling side bust darts and notched neckline!
But mostly because I have been saving this floral fabric for a bolero/cardigan, and it was just right! This much velveteen floral is just perfect with the red crepey/garbidine fabric of the dress, a whole coat in it would look Granny or Costumey.
The pattern was great to follow, firstly the dress was great, and normal! I loved the side darts (as I thought I would!) around the bust, and I decided after cutting the bodice pieces that I would change the skirt to a gathered one (just pretty much 2 large rectangles) because I've made a lot of pencil skirts recently. The material is thick, but still hangs floaty.
I realised that because I was worried it'd be too tight (it is a 32 bust, and I'm usually a 33-34) I forgot to alter the bodice horizontally, so the waistline actually sits on the top of my hips.
The bolero took about an hour and was super gorgeous to whip up! I'm going to make MORE now! I could also make a black (or green OR YELLOW) dress and the bolero will match them too!
Since it's Valentine's, I thought I'd wear my massive red bow ring! My friend made it, and it's SO comfy but hard to wear when you type! LOL!
This is also my first 'new fabric' dress for the Sew Weekly challenges. I bought a few shades of red a few years ago as my friend needed something to match a hat. Of course when I buy new material, I get worried I'd never have enough, so I bought loads.
I had to hold REALLY still in most of them, because he had a really slow 'shutter speed' (to let more light in through the lens) and we didn't want them to be blurred.