The Sew Weekly Contributor: Adey Lim
Blog: The Sew Convert
How long have you been sewing: I hated sewing since I attended my first home economic class at the age of 14. In 2007, something miraculous happened when God blessed me with a second pregnancy. I discovered that I was expecting a baby girl. That changed everything. First I went crazy shopping for handmade clothes for her on etsy. Then I decided I needed to make something for her on my own. I was a month from my due date when I took an intensive 4-day sewing class from an American lady living in Singapore. In December 2008, I made the first dress for my princess before she was born. I've only started sewing garments for myself on a regular basis since May 2010 and have had a fantastic time sewing for the past seven months.
Why did you want to commit to The Sew Weekly Challenge:
One of my blog readers, Sue, told me about this challenge and I knew instantly I wanted to be part of it as it coincided with some changes I wanted to make to my sewing schedule. I've sewed 46 garments for myself in the last seven months and felt that I needed to slow down a little, to enjoy other related processes more and to live life more fully. With The Sew Weekly Challenge, I’m committing myself to:
- Sew less but of better quality: So, my focus this year would be on sewing less garments (one item for myself a week) with better quality not just on the outside but also on the inside.
- Take time for better photographs: I want to become a better photographer and really do need more time with my tripod. I also want to get photos taken in places other than my living room or bathroom.
- Be a better hanger: The clothes I made would look better on me if I look better myself. So this year, I am committing myself to up my fitness level. I am going to attempt brisk walking around my estate at least three times a week besides the occasional swim.
- An organized sewing room: I do clean up my sewing room from time to time but I would like to be more disciplined in 2011. I want to be able to clean up more thoroughly after each project so that it’s easier to locate stuff.
- Community sewing:It is fabulous to sew along side like-minded ladies in different parts of the world on a weekly basis and to encourage each other along the way.
What do you love most about sewing garments: I love love love shopping for fabrics and nothing beats the thrill of marrying a fabric with its ideal sewing pattern. I am also absolutely thrilled to see a finished product. It’s fascinating what a piece of cloth can become! Oh, and I heart the idea that I no longer shop for clothes!
What do you hate most about sewing garments: The times I have to employ the seam ripper! I actually do not enjoy tracing patterns from books much. It can really strain the eyes as I try to identify one pattern from a pattern sheet containing dozens of patterns.
Your biggest non-sewing goal of 2011: I need to meet up with friends more regularly and to try out some new recipes!