“The Blue Garden” Frock | Adey Lim
Fabric: Blue floral cotton lawn from Chinatown US$10 for 2 metres
Pattern: Burdastyle’s Wiesn Dirndl sewing pattern (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/wiesn-dirndl) and sleeves from Colette Pattern’s Macaron
Year: c. 2008
Notions: Lace, zipper and piping US$3.50
Time to complete: 8 hours
First worn: Not yet but very soon!
Wear again? Yes, for very casual occasions.
Total Cost: ~$13. 50
I fell in love with Grosgrain’s reinvention of the Wiesn Dirndl dress pattern from burdastyle last August and when this vintage inspired blue floral cotton lawn came into my life, I knew it would live the rest of its life as the dress Grosgrain inspired. Yes, I am such a fabric addict! I am very often fabric led rather than pattern led.
I love how Grosgrain’s “Summer in the country house” frock looked vintage and yet new. I heart the piping details on the front and back of the bodice. To me, this is the perfect casual dress.
For my version, I used a more subtle silver piping which ran down the front and back bodice.
Besides the blatant borrowing of Grosgrain’s lovely idea, I also borrowed the cute scallop sleeves from Colette Pattern’s Macaron dress as I thought the two went well together. Sleeves are a must for me as I have always felt more comfortable with them on. They are like my security blanket.
I just finished a blouse in Liberty tana lawn for my mum and in comparison, this cheap cotton lawn crinkles endlessly! It looked all right when I took the close up shots at home but by the time I reached the garden downstairs and set up the tripod, the crinkles started to set in. That is such a pity as the fabric print is really sweet. I made the skirt slightly longer and rounder but I didn’t sew on a tulle but simply added a sweet and simple ivory lace to the skirt’s hem. I think this has to be the most girly dress I have made so far. If you are also keen to try this reinvention of the Wiesn Dirndl dress, instructions are available on burdastyle.
When I just started sewing I thought piping was the toughest thing to do but after I started learning how it worked, it really isn’t difficult so while sewing this dress, I decided to take some photos to document how I did them for this week’s Behind the Seams on my blog. It’s the easiest method I’ve thought of but if you know of an easier or more accurate way, please feel free to share with me.
Have a blessed weekend!