The “So Not Worth the Trouble” Outfit
Fabric: White cotton, blue cotton and blue floral cotton from SCRAP – ~$1.50
Pattern: McCall's 5021 (shirt) Hollywood Patterns 864 (skirt) – $5.00 from Alameda
Year: c. 1976 c.1941
Time to complete: ~10 hours
First worn: October 2010
Wear again? Yes.
Total Cost: ~$6.50
The minute that you say to yourself "wow, this is going really fast, I'm going to have this sewn in no time," things will go horribly wrong. That was my experience with this outfit. The easier a pattern looks, the more likely I'll make a mistake. It's just a fact.
You'd think that since I just made this shirt last week, it would have been a breeze. It would have been, actually, if I didn't have so many mishaps with the fabrics prior to sewing. My original plan was an all-white shirt with hand embroidery and I had cut the yoke in white cotton to reflect that. I transfered the embroidery pattern and started cross-stitched the design. The more I did, the more I didn't like my results. I then decided that I was going to machine embroider a design so I cut another yoke from the white fabric. As I was pressing the fabric, I scorched it! I cut another yoke out and ended up marking it up with an indelible pencil. Stupid me thought I could actually just erase a pencil mark from white fabric. When I went to cut out my forth yoke, I realized I didn't have enough fabric left over. That is when the blue fabric came into play. Thankfully, I machine-embroidered the design without issue.
The sewing of the shirt was, actually, quite easy.
And then the skirt. I've been wanting to sew this skirt forever. I've had this pattern in my collection since last October but for some reason never got to sewing it. Even though I don't *love* this fabric, I thought it would be a nice look. Unfortunately, the pattern is too busy to really see the way the tiers are put together.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I originally sewed the bottom tier upside down. I realized this fun fact after I had stitched and serged the entire thing. So out came the seam ripper and a couple more hours of my time. The pattern originally calls for a waistband. My frustration over the construction of the entire skirt made me throw up my hands in the air and go with an elastic waistband. Oh heavens, an elastic waistband! I figured that I could always wear a belt and cover that sad little detail.
So in all, this entire outfit should have taken between 4-5 hours to create. Instead, I spent a long ten hours fixing stupid mistakes that I should have caught or avoided. And, after all that work, I ended up with an outfit that I'm not crazy about. Oh well. I live and learn and understand just how important it is to measure twice and cut once.