The “Fruit Salad” Top
Fabric: Linen from SCRAP – 1 1/4 yards for ~$.50
Pattern: McCall’s 5021 – $.25
Year: c. 1976
Time to complete: ~3 hours
First worn: September 2010
Wear again? Yes.
Total Cost: ~$.75
Apologies for the lapse in Weekly Creation posts. Between being burned out from all my Gatsby sewing, planning (and sewing for) Penelope’s upcoming 3rd birthday, some Weekly Creation false starts and work, I’ve needed to take a bit of a mini vacation from updating the blog. But I’m back with some projects that I’m calling ‘Preschool Projects” — basically projects that I start and finish during the time Pen is at preschool for the day (about 3 hours).
The first Preschool Project came about because it’s now officially Summer in San Francisco. Like we have all learned to expect (and accept), San Francisco loves its Indian Summer. Faced with not having a single sleeveless shirt, I chose fabric and a pattern that I picked up last Thursday for a complete steal — a total cost of 75 cents for everything.
I loved this fabric the moment I saw it, though I assumed it would turn into an apron or something a bit more suited for the kitchen. It was such a small amount of fabric — about 1 1/4 yards (if that) with a 44″ selvedge — that I didn’t even think it would be enough to make into a shirt. In fact, I didn’t have enough for this shirt pattern and was forced to stitch the back pieces together at the center seam instead of cutting on the fold as the instructions indicated. In the end, it didn’t matter.
What I’m totally amazed about is how perfectly the yoke matches the rest of the shirt. Let me tell you that I can not take any credit for that feat. It was a complete and total accident. I’m a fast sewer. I’m a creative sewer. But I’m also a mess of a sewer and if I tried to deliberately match the yoke, I would have failed miserably. But for some reason the sewing gods were looking out for me today and that piece just wanted to be cut correctly.
The pattern is, uncharacteristic for me, from the 1970s. The sleeveless view is just so adorable and I intend to tackle it again and add some embroidery.