A Little Bit Tropical Dress
I'm all about setting goals and making pledges. Be it stash bustin' or the entire concept of Sew Weekly. Now I'm going to make a mini-pledge that I'm going to put away my 1940s patterns for a couple of weeks and explore some different eras. I love these patterns but I really need to mix it up. So, here's my last 1940s dress for at least one month — The "A Little Bit Tropical Dress."
Fabric: Floral cotton print from Windmill Antiques, Sebastopol ~ $5 for 2 1/2 yards
Pattern: Simplicity 1566
Notions: Vintage wood buttons – $0.005
Year: c. 1946
Time to complete: About 3 hours
First worn: March 2010
Wear again? Yes, but more of a house dress.
Total Cost: ~ $5
The only issue came about with my fabric choice. It turns out that this particular fabric I bought on this vintage shopping trip had a printing error. It was almost as if one half of printing press (or whatever it would be called) was only partially inked with the white ink/dye/whatever. It's not a fading issue since only one color is affected. It's a subtle error — one that I didn't notice until I had cut the pieces. I debated scrapping the dress entirely, but I just couldn't waste it.
So, in order to make it a little less noticeable, I sewed a fairly large pocket on the top bodice. The print is busy enough that it's hardly noticeable and the pocket adds enough of a distraction.
I've paired this dress with some of my wooden jewelry pieces because the print reminds me of the type of dress I would want to wear on a tropical vacation — hence the name. These are some earrings I picked up on my very first trip to Alameda Antique Fair. I bought them long before I would have considered wearing screw-back or clip on earrings and have never worn them until now. I actually love them quite a bit and they were only $1! Coincidentally, I bought the two bangle bracelets at the same vendor, years later and they, too, were $1 each. And the necklace was a find from last week's Alemany Flea Market. Also $1.
That's my dog, Maddy. She was also second-hand. We adopted her from the Milo Foundation animal sanctuary/rescue back in 2006. As you can see, she needs a haircut.